The ‘toxicity’ referred to in the term ‘toxic relationship’ refers to, not only the behaviours such as name-calling, physical, emotional, sexual and mental abuse, lies, stealing, etc., but it also refers to the consequences of these behaviours – the pain and turmoil caused by such an unhealthy relationship.
Signs That You Are In A Toxic Relationship
- Everything is about ‘them’ and never about you. Your opinions don’t matter and it is impossible to be heard. The other person will have the last say whether you like it or not.
- It is not possible for you to share good moments with this person. There is an endless daily battle of challenges and problems and a never-ending string of complaints about you and your behaviour.
- You can’t do anything right. Your personality and character are not good enough and nothing you do or say is good enough.
- You find it impossible to grow and change for the better. Any effort on your part to grow and improve yourself is mocked and blocked. The other person does not support or encourage your efforts.
- You find it almost impossible to be yourself around this person. You don’t want to speak your mind because you know what it will cause. You play a role in order to be accepted by this person. You don’t know who you are anymore and even your friends and family don’t know who you are anymore.
If you are suffering through even one of the above behaviours then you need to re-evaluate your relationship. Walk… no run… away from this relationship! Stop choosing the pain! This person is not for you and you will never be good enough for them.
CEO, SUCCESS FACTORY