LIFE / EXECUTIVE COACHING
WHAT IS COACHING?
Coaching is a partnership between a coach and an individual or team that supports the achievement of extraordinary results, based on goals set by the individual or team. Through the process of coaching, individuals focus on the skills and actions needed to successfully produce their personally relevant results.
The individual or team chooses the focus of conversation while the coach listens and contributes observations and questions as well as concepts and principles which can assist in generating possibilities and identifying actions. Through the coaching process, the clarity that is needed to support the most effective actions is achieved. Coaching accelerates the individual’s or team’s progress by providing greater focus and awareness of possibilities leading to more effective choices. Coaching concentrates on where individuals are now and what they are willing to do to get where they want to be in the future.
Results are a matter of the individual’s or team’s intentions, choices and actions, supported by the coach’s efforts and application of coaching skills, approaches, methods and tools.
THE ROLE OF THE COACH:
To engage the coachee in conversation utilising specific communications skills and questioning techniques to lead the coachee to answers, new possibilities, resolutions, decisions and insights;
To provide objective assessment and observations that foster the individual’s or team members’ enhanced self-awareness and awareness of others; practice astute listening in order to garner a full understanding of the individual’s or team’s circumstances;
Be a sounding board in support of possibility thinking and thoughtful planning and decision making;
Identify and champion opportunities and potential;
Encourage, stretch, challenge and commensurate with personal strengths and aspirations;
Foster the shifts in thinking that reveal fresh perspectives;
Challenge blind spots in order to illuminate new possibilities;
Support the creation of alternative scenarios;
Maintains professional boundaries in the coaching relationship, including confidentiality, and adheres to the coaching profession’s code of ethics.
THE COACHING PROCESS
THERE ARE FIVE PHASES TO SUCCESS FACTORY’S COACHING PROGRAMME:
1. Assessment and analysis of collected data: A complete assessment of personal, situational, and job competencies evaluations through 360-degree assessment to establish purpose, direction, values, competencies, ambitions, strengths, weaknesses, desires and current issues. This inventory phase is necessary to establish levels of self-awareness, the client’s needs and desires for his/her life and career and to uncover the obstacles that are preventing him/her from moving forward.
ORGANISATION’S NEEDS AND EXPECTATIONS
Before the diagnostic session, I meet with the client’s superior in order to address the organisation’s needs and to get his/her views regarding the client. The client’s skills, knowledge and behaviours are discussed, such as: unproductive behaviour, stress management, crisis management abilities, commitment, loyalty, performance, attitude, relationships and communication with others, leadership ability and style, strategic thinking and planning abilities, vision, change management, adaptability, flexibility, resource management, diversity management, ability to recognise strategic advantage, finance, clear objectives, execution of strategy etc.
2. Analysis and strategy (development planning): The coach and client conduct a thorough review of all collected data; identification and prioritisation of desired results and objectives. A strategy is compiled, which may include changing behaviours and acquiring new skills or knowledge etc. This strategy is compiled with the client’s input and buy-in to ensure full co-operation and willingness to change.
3. Contracting and agreement, between all parties: A clear understanding of coaching objectives, commitment by client to achieve goals and meet established project and coaching milestones.
4. Coaching to the strategy (development plan): The coach and client get together for regular coaching sessions to ensure progress for the client. Progress and performance development is monitored regularly to establish coaching effectiveness by reviewing milestones and deliverables during coaching sessions.
5. Re-assessment to determine coaching success.
Accountability and responsibility start here.